Custom Calvary Shirt

JM came to me about making him a Calvary Shirt. I said why not! I can make anything if I put my mind to it. I have been making custom clothes now for a fair bit. I am sure I can make something that he would love.

Back story on JM. He is kin! He has served in the Military for most of his adult life. Dedicated, Decorated Military Man! Made 4 tours, South Korea, Desert Storm and 2 in Iraq. Been blown up 9 times and as you can imagine has suffered a ton of injuries. He has all his limbs but does suffer from brain damage amongst other things! We love him! He sooo loves serving his Country! He would give anything to go back...ANYTHING!

Anyhoo , I got off track! He asked me to make him this shirt and of course I could not say no. He asked for our flag to be a part of this shirt. He sent me a picture of what he was thinking
Ok I can work with that. Now for those who don't know Calvary shirt is with the panel on the front with buttons. He said well I would rather have snaps. Ok we can do that.
So looking over the design I had to ask if he wanted the flag on the back too. Yes that would be great he said. Ok now in my brain I am thinking he is a lifetime military man. I am going to have to make this flag fly correct from the front and the back. hmmm how am i going to make that adjustment? Because the panel swoops from the back to the front. off to think about that one for a bit.
I ordered the fabric I needed. Then the patterns...and I was off to make the adjustments for the custom make.
It turned out that the front panel had to be full so the panel on the front was extended to meet at the top of the shoulder. The back was shortened to meet the top of the shoulder too. The background fabric is black so I decided to make the panels double so when he opened the shirt on the inside it is a solid color! This shirt was a challenge...but now I have a drawn out pattern to work off of if I was asked to make another. He is a big guy too so had to make the adjustments for his various measurements. This family does not make small wimpy guys at all!
ok so the results...He loves his shirt!!






Thank you JM for your service and the privilege to make you something you can be proud of! Made in The USA!!

Comments